Rushden & Diamonds Football Club History

Rushden & Diamonds FC

A Club History

Formation (1992)

Rushden & Diamonds Football Club was formed at the end of the 1991/92 season following a merger between Rushden Town (Southern League) and Irthlingborough Diamonds (United Counties League). Rushden Town was formed in 1889 and competed in the Midland and Northants Leagues before joining the United Counties League. The club made a brief sojourn to the Central Alliance before returning to the U.C.L. in the late 50s and winning the title in 1963/64 and 1972/73. In 1983 it was elected to the Southern League Midland Division and progressed further in 1990/91 with promotion to the Premier Division. Unfortunately, after finishing 14th in their first season at this level, the Russians were relegated back to the Midland Division, as their Hayden Road ground was not considered up to the standard required. The club had made considerable improvements to the ground and the Social Club, and was devastated when told that the facilities were not acceptable. Irthlingborough Diamonds was founded in 1946 and began playing competitive youth football in 1947. For the next decade they played as an under-18 side before progressing through local football in the Rushden & District and Kettering Amateur Leagues until 1964. They then achieved senior status with a move to the United Counties League winning the title for the first time in 1970/71. In addition to League success the Diamonds had exciting runs in the FA Vase, reaching the semi-finals in 1980/81 and 1983/84 before losing to Willenhall and Stamford respectively. But after the successes of the 70s and 80s, the early 90s saw a decline in the clubs fortunes and Max Griggs, a local businessman, was approached concerning a possible sponsorship.

Mr Griggs recognised the problems being experienced by both Rushden Town and Irthlingborough Diamonds and suggested a merger. Despite widespread reservations this amalgamation was eventually agreed and the Irthlingborough Diamonds ground, Nene Park, was brought up to the required standard.

The Early Years (1992-96) 1992/93 started with the newly formed club, managed by former Rushden Town and Irthlingborough Diamonds stalwart Roger Ashby, entertaining Bilston Town in the Southern League Midland Division in front of 315 spectators. The team for that historic first game was Kevin Shoemake, Mark Bushell, Junior Wilson, John Flower, Darrell Page, Steven Heard, Dave Johnson, Aidy Mann, Ollie Kearns, Frankie Belfon and Paul York.

The season ended in disappointment with the club finishing two points behind runners-up Gresley Rovers, but seven points adrift of league winners Nuneaton Borough.

Roger Ashby Thanks to the wonderful backing of R Griggs Group (best known for their Dr Martens and Airwair footwear products), and excellent support from local businesses, 1993/94 commenced with the new North Stand, capable of holding 1,000 spectators, fully operational. The Beazer Homes Midland Division title was clinched on May 2nd 1994 in front of 1,504 spectators to achieve a notable double, the side having already won the NFA Hillier Cup six days earlier. The strike partnership of Dale Watkins and Mickey Nuttell had been backed up by a strong defensive unit featuring Kevin Fox, John Flower and Dave Johnson.

BHM Champions The summer of 1994 saw the magnificent Diamond Centre in use with function rooms, club bar, hospitality boxes and restaurants, as well as the dressing rooms and gymnasium.

The Diamond Centre

The centre was officially opened in April 1995 by HRH The Prince of Wales during his visit to an exhibition by the Princes Youth Business Trust, which is extensively supported by the Griggs Group. The main function room, The Kimberley Suite, has staged the Dr Martens European Snooker League, and regularly hosted Sportsmans’ Dinners with guest speakers including Sir Geoff Hurst, Sir Bobby Charlton, Ian St.John and Denis Law. The South Stand, adjoining the Diamond Centre, was fully operational prior to the 1994/95 season when Peterborough United were defeated in the NFA Maunsell Cup. The season commenced with a 2-0 defeat by eventual Southern League Premier Division runners-up Cheltenham Town. After an early FA Cup exit, the hoped-for promotion was overshadowed by an excellent FATrophy run, eventually ended by a 2-1 two-legged semi-final defeat at the hands of GM Conference runners-up Woking. The West Terrace, named the Peter DeBanke Terrace in memory of a former player and respected servant of both Rushden Town and Irthlingborough Diamonds, and capable of accommodating 1,800 spectators, was opened during the 1994/95 season leaving only the East Terrace uncovered. A highlight of the 1995/96 pre-season was the visit of Newcastle United, with David Ginola and Les Ferdinand making their debuts, when 4,600 watched the Premiership giants triumph 3-1. A long FA Cup run ended with a home First Round Proper defeat at the hands of Cardiff City. After one or two jitters the season climaxed in May, when 4,664 people, then a ground record, witnessed a 3-2 victory over Merthyr Tydfil to secure the Southern League Championship and a place for Roger Ashby’s side in the Football Conference. That team had included Garry Butterworth, Darren Collins,  Graham Benstead, Andy Kirkup and Nick Ashby.

Garry Butterworth

The Conference Years – Part 1 (1996 – 2001)

The summer of 1996 and the early part of the 1996/97 season saw the installation of a new road complex, Diamond Way, and the erection of phase 1 of the East Stand, which would extend the official ground capacity to 6,572. This was officially opened in December 1996 by Max Griggs and named The AirWair Stand. The club failed to justify favouritism for the Conference title in 1996/97 and, despite another lengthy FA Cup run to the First Round Proper stage, the end of February 1997 found the side at the bottom of the table and out of both the FA Trophy and Northants Senior Cup. Brian Talbot, the ex-Ipswich Town, Arsenal and England player, was appointed to the coaching staff on 1st March, taking complete control a week later. The team lost only twice more to eventually finish in 12th place and Talbot was confirmed as Head Coach in time for the 1997/98 campaign.

Brian Talbot

The influx of new players such as Adrian Foster and Paul Underwood gave optimism for 1997/98 but this was soon tempered with only one point being gained from the first four matches. Defeats at the first stages of both the Spalding and FA Cups followed before replacements were introduced such as Darren Bradshaw and Mark Smith. This led to a successful run which elevated the side to 2nd place. However, the legacy of the poor start to the season and eventual lack of cover for injuries and suspensions brought an eventual fourth place finish behind Halifax Town. Darren Collins was once again the top scorer for the club, with 29 league goals.

Darren Collins Developments to the complex during 1997 and 1998 saw major improvements to the Training Ground, The summer of 1998 brought the completion of the North Stand development with the inclusion of additional hospitality boxes, football club offices and a large retail outlet to house the clubs merchandise store, known as the Doc Shop. Further development of the AirWair Stand commenced that June with the installation of a roof making the stadium completely covered by November.

AirWair Stand

After a record-breaking start when seven successive wins were recorded, the 1998/99 season saw the club repeat its fourth place finish in the Nationwide Conference, with the season fading quickly after a home defeat by eventual champions Cheltenham Town who scored twice in the dying minutes of the game. Early season promise had been brought via signings such as Michael McElhatton and Jon Brady, with additional players arriving during the season such as Ray Warburton.

Ray Warburton

The Northants Senior Cup was won for the second time in the clubs brief history, but the highlight of the season was undoubtedly the FA Cup run which culminated in a Third Round clash with Premiership side Leeds United. In January, before a ground record crowd of 6,431, the Diamonds secured a memorable 0-0 draw. Over 39,000 watched the replay at Elland Road eleven days later but, after taking an 11th minute lead through Carl Heggs, the cup dream was ended as the Premiership side stepped up a gear and ran out 3-1 winners.

Leeds Draw Celebrations   Heggs goal away at Leeds

Prior to the start of 1999/2000, Brian Talbot was appointed Club Manager and the Maunsell Premier Cup was again captured at the expense of Northampton Town. The Club were made favourites for the Conference title, with signings such as Billy Turley and Mark Peters, and were always in the upper reaches of the table. Optimism was high at the end of February when leading the table, with a run of home games to follow.  However, only two of these were won, and defeat against the eventual champions Kidderminster Harriers at Aggborough effectively decided the season, and runners-up spot had to suffice. Another successful FA Cup run again culminated in a Third Round Proper exit on penalties in a Nene Park replay against Sheffield United, following an excellent 1-1 draw at Bramall Lane. Disappointment came in the quarter finals of the FA Trophy with a shock reversal in a home replay against Sutton United.

Pre-season 2000/2001 dawned with the opening of the Dr Martens Sports and Exhibition Centre adjacent to Pitch No.2, including the base for the playing staff complete with gymnasium, management offices and recreational facilities. The previous seasons disappointment hadn’t deterred the bookmakers and Diamonds were again rated favourites to secure the one promotion place to the Football League. This favourite status was reinforced by signings such as those of Justin Jackson, Duane Darby and Tarkan Mustafa to fit into a side that already included the likes of Paul Underwood, Ray Warburton, Mark Peters, Garry Butterworth and Jon Brady.

Justin Jackson

A 12-game unbeaten run at the start of the season put them in pole position, but a run of bad results, including a fighting 1-0 defeat at Luton Town in the First Round of the FA Cup, left them trailing Yeovil Town heading into Christmas. Brian Talbot came under pressure from a minority group of supporters but Max Griggs faith never wavered and he was rewarded when the team lost just one of their final 23 league games to secure promotion to the Football League, just nine short years after the club came into existence.

A key 2-0 victory over local rivals Kettering Town, achieved with 10 men away from home was followed by a tense goalless draw with Yeovil Town in Somerset, and then the title was clinched with a 2-1 victory over Chester City.

Duane Darby

Other players that featured that season included Andy Burgess in just his second season, Shaun Carey, Jim Rodwell, Gary Setchell, Jean-Michel Sigere, Gary Mills and Stuart Gray.

Conference Champs

Conf Champs

The Football League Years (2001 – 2006)

The first year in the Football League brought around more excitement to the club. The club started the season in fine style, recording their first win in the Football League with a 1-0 victory over York City. Warren Patmore, signed from Yeovil and scored the club’s first ever Football League goal but lasted only four games before transferring to Woking.

Despite a Worthington Cup win over Burnley, the club went seven league matches without a win and the hard-earned league status looked under threat as Barry Hunter was signed along with Scott Partridge and the returning Ritchie Hanlon to try to reverse the trend. The record books were rewritten for Diamonds on October 2001 but unfortunately it was for the wrong reasons. A 7-1 hammering at Cardiff in the LDV Vans Trophy game was a club record heaviest defeat. However, the season was about to change in December following the signing of Onandi Lowe, a Jamaican international who had an excellent scoring record for his country. This signing was reinforced with the arrival of Stuart Wardley and Paul Hall. The club lost only eight games in 26 matches from December. Lowe went on a scoring spree for Diamonds – hitting nine in the final five games of the season to shoot Diamonds up the table and secure a play-off spot. Diamonds were pitted with Rochdale in the semi-final and after an emphatic 2-2 draw at Nene Park it was all down to one match at Spotland on a cold Tuesday night for a place in the final at the Millennium Stadium. It looked as though Diamonds would not get their day at Cardiff after a mistake from Billy Turley, miskicking a rolling ball, saw the club go one goal down. However, their day in the Welsh capital was secured when Onandi Lowe and Paul Hall grabbed a goal apiece. The final, however, was not to be Diamonds day and Cheltenham ran out deserved 3-1 winners, with Hall grabbing the club’s goal at the famous stadium.

The 2002-2003 season brought much optimism for the club following their impressive first year in the Football League. Marcus Bignot, a former Crewe player was brought in to strengthen the squad and the club made an impressive start, losing only one game from their opening eight encounters. Despite an 8-0 loss to Coventry in the Worthington Cup (breaking the record for the heaviest club defeat) Diamonds were never out of the top six throughout 2002. A 5-1 home win over Shrewsbury kicked off 2003 and important victories over Kidderminster, Cambridge and Bournemouth kept the momentum going. On March 1st 2003, Diamonds were in second place in the table, a massive 12 points behind leaders Hartlepool, and at that stage there was no talk of the title. However, an incredible turn of fortunes for both sides resulted in one of the most amazing finishes to the season. With Hartlepool struggling to find any form, Diamonds took full advantage and in March the club racked up wins over York, Hull, Bury and Exeter, with Brian being named Manager of the Month (his second award of this type for the season). Diamonds won four important games on the trot in April, including a 2-1 victory over Carlisle, which secured promotion and could have secured the championship in the penultimate match of the season, but a 0-0 draw against Leyton Orient combined with a Hartlepool win set up a mouth-watering end of season game. The computer fixture could not have written the script any sweeter – Hartlepool were the last day opponents for Diamonds at Nene Park. The home side knew a draw would be good enough to secure the title and Paul Hall settled nerves with a first-half opener. It looked as though there would be no response from Hartlepool but with minutes remaining Diamonds fans were to endure nail-biting moments when Hartlepool grabbed an equaliser. However, this was to be Diamonds day as they held on for a famous draw to secure the championship in only the club’s second season in the Football League.

Rushden and Diamonds kicked off life in Division Two with a 3-1 opening day loss at Luton Town. New signing Rodney Jack had to settle for a place on the substitute’s bench as Brian Talbot began with the same eleven that clinched the title against Hartlepool at Nene Park in the previous campaign. Despite Onandi Lowe giving Rushden a first half lead, two goals from Tony Thorpe and a strike from Matthew Spring gave the Hatters the win. The opening day league defeat was followed by a 3-1 loss in the Carling Cup, at the hands of West Ham United, in front of a near 14,000 crowd at Upton Park. Rushden’s league form varied throughout the season, as the Diamonds could not manage more than two consecutive victories. Life in Division Two was proving to be a challenge. At Christmas, Rushden were placed 14th in the table, yet it was all very tight in the league at this time. Diamonds were only eight points above the drop zone, yet only six points behind Bristol City, who occupied the final play-off spot. The Christmas period brought Rushden two wins out of three, and lifted the side to within two points of the play-offs. However, the turn of the year resulted in a dramatic turn of fortunes for the club. The team desperately struggled for form on the pitch, picking up only eight points from a possible thirty-three. Additionally, off-the-field problems were beginning to mount, and clearly having an effect on the team’s performance. The beginning of March saw manager Brian Talbot resign from his post before heading to Oldham Athletic. Barry Hunter took charge of first team affairs on a Caretaker Manager basis. Hunter’s reign began with a 1-0 loss at Bristol City. A brace from centre-half Andy Edwards gave Rushden a victory against Notts County at Nene Park, a win that would prove to be Diamonds’ last victory of the season. Transfer deadline day saw four first team regulars leave Nene Park. Paul Underwood headed to Luton Town, while right full-back Marcus Bignot left for QPR. Jamaican duo Paul Hall and Onandi Lowe also departed, moving to Tranmere Rovers and Coventry City respectively. Lowe’s goals had been vital to Rushden and his departure was a major blow, as Rushden struggled for goals from then on.

Paul Underwood

As the club continued to slide down the league table, Ernie Tippett was appointed as manager to attempt to maintain Rushden’s Division 2 status with three games remaining. The task proved too much as Diamonds lost all three games 2-0, to Hartlepool, Colchester, and Port Vale, condemning Rushden to relegation after just one season in Division 2.

ERNIE The pre-season of 2004/05 was a busy period for the club, as Ernie Tippett and Stewart Robson looked to effectively rebuild the squad for the forthcoming campaign. New signings included defenders Sean Connelly, Graham Allen (both from Tranmere Rovers), Peter Hawkins and Rob Gier (from MK Dons). Phil Gulliver also arrived along with Craig Dove (a winger) from Middlesbrough. Alex Hay and Gareth Seddon were also brought in to provide more attacking options. Before the fixtures for the 2004 / 05 campaign were announced, there was a great air of anticipation around Nene Park, in fact, around Northamptonshire. Everyone was eager to find out when Rushden and Northampton Town would lock horns, having missed each other the previous season, after Rushden won Division 3, and Northampton were relegated from Division 2.

The two sides would not have to wait long to meet. Rushden would travel to the Sixfields Stadium after an opening day home tie against Kidderminster Harriers. After drawing the opener with Kidderminster 0-0, Rushden went down 1-0 to Northampton, after Eric Sabin struck late on in the game.  Injury and illness denied Gareth Seddon the opportunity to pull on a Diamonds shirt, so Ernie Tippett and Stewart Robson would utilise the loan system. Kevin Braniff arrived from Millwall on a three-month loan, and he scored vital goals in 1-0 wins against Grimsby and Cheltenham. The highlight of the opening half of the season was Rushden’s 5-1 thumping of Notts County at Nene Park. New loan signing Drewe Broughton scored a hat trick, the first of the three coming after just ten seconds. However, a run of 13 league games without a win would ultimately spell the end of Ernie Tippett and Stewart Robson’s reign at Nene Park. Barry Hunter took charge for his second spell as Caretaker Manager, and got off to the best possible start, with a 2-0 win over Leyton Orient.


Hunter had reignited the passion and determination that Rushden had missed for so long, and he also made some excellent loan signings to strengthen the squad for the battle ahead. Scott Shearer was brought in from Coventry City, to fill the troublesome Goalkeeper slot following Billy Turley’s departure. Hunter also brought in Neil McCafferty , a tenacious young Irish midfielder from Charlton, and Mark Williams, a Northern Ireland international, loaned in from MK Dons at centre-half. Drewe Broughton returned for a second spell at Nene Park, to forge an excellent strike partnership with Billy Sharp, an eighteen year old from Sheffield United. Rushden were becoming quite a force at home under Hunter, and the highlight of the season would be March 12th, 2005. Rushden played Northampton at Nene Park, and with the game level at 2-2 in injury time, Luke Chambers misjudged a clearance-come-pass from Rob Gier, allowing Sharp to steal in and slot the ball past the Cobblers’ goalkeeper as the Rushden fans went wild.


Safety was guaranteed despite the loss of the final two matches of the season to already relegated Cambridge, and promotion chasing Macclesfield. Kidderminster were the other relegated side. In Summer 2005 Max Griggs stepped down as Chairman and owner of the club after announcing his intention to sell the club in October 2003. The Rushden and Diamonds Supporters Trust, made up of supporters of the club, were formed in order to protect the club. In January 2005 Griggs announced his plans to hand over the Football Club, the Nene Park stadium and 22 acres of land – except the sports and exhibition centre – to the Trust. The Griggs family also offered a cash injection of £500,000 for the 2005/06 season, and £250,000 for the 2006/07 season.

Max Griggs The club was formally handed over to the Supporters Trust at a ceremony at Nene Park on 3rd June 2005 in a historic gesture, with Rushden & Diamonds becoming the first Football Club owned solely by a Supporters Trust.

trust On the playing side, Barry Hunter remained as Manager after avoiding relegation the previous season. Young players Greg Pearson, Daniel Chillingworth and Neil McCafferty were signed from West Ham, Cambridge United and Charlton respectively. Hunter also recruited experienced midfielder Dave Savage from Bristol Rovers as well as securing the loan signings of young goalkeeper Jamie Young from Reading, Ashley Nicholls joined on loan from Cambridge and striker Chris O’Grady from Leicester. During the January transfer window many additional signings were made including Wayne Hatswell, Darren Caskey, Tyrone Berry, Scott Tynan and Ronnie Bull. Also in January youth team products David Bell and Andy Burgess both left the club with Bell joining former Diamonds defender Paul Underwood at Luton Town.

BELL The 2005/06 season would ultimately be a season of struggle culminating in relegation to the Football Conference. However, highlights included the 3-0 home victory over fellow strugglers and near neighbours Oxford United at the end of January and a decent spell of form in February and March. Relegation was confirmed at Boston United on April 29th with Diamonds losing 2-0 after they had numerous chances to win the game. After the game most of the players joined the fans to commiserate, and the club’s 5-year stay in the Football League had ended.

The Football Conference – Part 2 (2006 to 2011) As a result of relegation the club decided not to renew Barry Hunter’s contract as Manager whilst many players were also released. A total of thirteen senior players left the club including Player of the Year Phil Gulliver and top scorer Drewe Broughton.

Paul Hart training 2

Former Nottingham Forest and Barnsley Manager Paul Hart, was appointed First Team Manager on 23rd May 2006. In addition the high profile names of Ian Bowyer, Ian Woan and Tony Godden were also brought in as back room staff. With only a short list of players retained, Paul Hart set about signing a number of players in June. Glenn Wilson, Paul Watson, Jon Ashton, Chris Hope and Leo Fortune-West all arrived on free transfers, while Michael Rankine and Nicky Eyre both signed after a successful trial periods at the club.

Chris Hope challenges Onome Sodje

The Diamonds started the season poorly with defeats to Crawley Town and Grays Athletic, and after a 4-1 defeat to Northwich Victoria, and with only 4 wins in the first 16 games Paul Hart and his management paid the price for the Club’s poor league position, with Tony Godden taking temporary charge as Caretaker Manager.

Tony’s first game in charge saw a respectable 1-1 draw away at Weymouth and although the side lost in the League to Dagenham & Redbridge, St. Albans and Aldershot, the club progressed to the Second round of the FA Cup after beating League One side Yeovil Town 3-1.

On 22nd November 2006 the Supporters Trust handed over control of Rushden & Diamonds, and the Nene Park facilities they controlled, to Keith Cousins, who became the new Club Chairman.

Keith Cousins

Following Mr Cousin’s arrival the club sought a new manager, with Graham Westley being appointed on Monday 18th December 2006 prior to the Club’s busy Christmas schedule.

Graham Westley

After results picked up, and Conference safety looked certain, Graham Westley left the club by mutual consent to be replaced by Garry Hill, the former Weymouth and Dagenham & Redbridge manager, appointed at the end of February 2007.


Garry’s side finished the season in 12th place on 62 points. Over the summer players such as Curtis Woodhouse, Martin Foster, and former Diamond players Jon Challinor, Andy Burgess and Phil Gulliver were bought in to strengthen the youthful team, in the aim of a push for in the newly renamed Blue Square Premier in the 2007/08 season.

The 2007/08 season turned out to be a season of consolidation, with the club maintaining a solid mid-table position throughout the season, finishing in 16th place on 59 points. Players departing included Wayne Hatswell and Simeon Jackson, with the latter moving to the League One level with Gillingham.

Simeon Jackson

After an initial difficulty in finding the net at Nene Park the fans were treated to two successive 5-0 victories – the televised game with Oxford United followed a victory over Solihull Moors in the FA Cup. The cup form continued with victory over league two Macclesfield Town, but the run ended at the Memorial Stadium in Bristol, with Rovers making the best of difficult conditions.

A further highlight of the season was a run to the final of the Setanta Shield, and although beaten on penalties, the 3-3 draw at Aldershot will be long remembered by those that witnessed it live or on TV.


The season ended with the Diamonds lifting the NFA Hillier Cup with a 2-1 victory over Brackley Town.

For the 2008/09 season, 10 pre-season signings included Daryl Clare and Rob Wolleaston, with Curtis Osano joining the club on a permanent basis after spending the previous season on loan from Reading. Victory over Peterborough United in the Maunsell Cup Final was the fourth occasion the Diamonds had won the senior Northamptonshire FA competition.  The season got off to a good start, with the first four games unbeaten, including a draw at local rivals Kettering Town.

Sam Smith equalises

However, the season quickly tailed off, and saw the Diamonds go out of the FA Cup at Evesham United in the fourth qualifying round. Garry Hill resigned as manager of the club on 10th February 2009, and was replaced by Justin Edinburgh as caretaker-manager. Edinburgh’s first game in charge was in the 9-0 victory over Weymouth at the Wessex Stadium on 21st February 2009. That was followed by the Diamonds maintaining their excellent record over local rivals Kettering Town with a 1-0 victory at Nene Park.

Northwich Celebration

Edinburgh was then awarded a permanent contract just prior to the final game of the 2008-09 season. That final game saw the Diamonds complete the campaign in 11th position in the Blue Square Premier.

Justin Edinburgh

For the 2009-10 season a number of new players were signed, including Craig Farrell, Max Porter, Aaron O’Connor and Jamie Stuart, but long servants Chris Hope and Andy Burgess departed before the season started.

Andy Burgess

After keeping a stable squad for all of the 2009-10 season, Justin Edinburgh led the team to fourth position in the league, including a memorable victory over champions Stevenage Borough, a record 8-0 home victory over Gateshead and a 3-0 away victory over local rivals Kettering Town, With only two league defeats from the start of the year 2010, the club clinched a place in the post-season playoffs for the first time, but they lost over two legs to Oxford United in the semi-final.

Stevenage Celebration

For the 2010/11 season in the newly renamed Blue Square Bet Premier there were a number of changes in personnel, with ten summer signings and a similar number of departures from the club. Star player Lee Tomlin had remained at Nene Park for much of the pre-season period but left to join Peterborough United shortly before the start of the season.

Lee Tomlin celebrates

The first three months of the season saw a mixed set of results, including two more victories over local rivals Kettering, including an FA Cup victory during October that saw Justin Edinburgh win the manager of the month award.

On 1st December 2010 Keith Cousins announced he was stepping down as club chairman, endorsing Liam Beasant and Gary Calder as the new owners of the Football Club. In February 2011 Gary Calder left the club, with Liam Beasant taking over as Chairman, with Steve Beasant coming in as Chief Executive Officer.

On 14th December 2010 the club reported the sad loss of goalkeeper Dale Roberts, one of the most popular players at the club.

roberts england c

At the end of the 2010-11 season the Rushden & Diamonds Youth Team clinched the Midland Youth Cup with a 3-2 victory against Chesterfield at the b2Net Stadium on 19th April 2011.

Diamonds youth team celebrate winning the Midland Cup

The Youth Team then completed a double when they clinched the Football Conference Youth Alliance title at the start of May 2011.

Under 18 team celebrate winning the league

On 11th June 2011 the club was expelled from the Football Conference at the Conference AGM.

The Rushden & Diamonds FC Honours Board can be found here.


2 Responses to Rushden & Diamonds Football Club History

  1. Pingback: Introduction to RDFC1992 « rdfc1992

  2. Pingback: Diamonds are forever -The Rise, fall & Re-Birth of Rushden – Notes from an English County

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: