Graham Reed

Graham Reed

Born 24 June 1961 (Age 34 at debut)

Position: Defender

(Diamonds player #51)

Total appearances 4

(4 League)


19 August 1995 (Home Salisbury)

Final game:

28 August 1995 (Away Burton Albion)


Graham was a right back and had started his career at Barnsley. He made his debut in their FA Cup 1st Round tie against Worksop on 25 November 1978, scoring twice in the 5-1 victory but only made another three appearances before leaving the Tykes in 1980. He dropped down to non-league football, joining NPL side Frickley Athletic while combining football with the harsh reality of life in the pits. In his first season at Frickley, he scored 20 goals as a striker and his form over the next few seasons saw him attract the attention of Football league clubs. After finishing the 1984/85 season on 22 goals, Northampton Town offered £4500 for his services in May 1985. In four seasons with the Cobblers, he made 138 appearances, scoring on his debut against Burnley, but missing the chance of an equaliser in the closing minutes. That was the only time he played as a striker, and he became a regular in defence, mainly at right back, helping them win the Division 4 title in May 1987. He suffered a serious injury on 22 October 1988 against Bristol City, which effectively ended his League career. He was later to have a benefit game arranged in May 1995 at the newly opened Sixfields Stadium between the Northampton Town 1987 League winners and a current XI. Graham joined Aylesbury United in the summer of 1989 and scored 4 goals in 48 appearances for the Ducks.  He then moved to VS Rugby early in 1991 and after two years in which he scored 5 times in 40 appearances, joined troubled Kettering Town (in administration) making his debut on 17 October 1992 in the home defeat against Merthyr Tydfil. He became club captain the following season, and went on to make 83 appearances for the Poppies, scoring 3 goals. It was from the Poppies that Diamonds signed Graham in August 1995 – on a monthly contract as emergency cover following an injury to Tim Wooding. He played in Diamonds opening four games in the Southern League Premier Division. In his third game against Crawley Town, he set up the opening goal for Garry Butterworth but was sent off midway through the second half. As a result, he played just one more game two days later prior to his suspension. He was substituted by Wooding and his contract was not renewed for the following month. He joined Dagenham & Redbridge for a brief spell before returning to VS Rugby for the remainder of the 1995/1996 season, but only making one further appearance before retiring.





Salisbury City (H)




Chelmsford City(A)




Crawley Town (H)




Burton Albion (A)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: