Rushden & Diamonds 0 York City 1

Another costly mistake from ‘keeper Nicky Eyre gift wrapped three points to the visitors at Nene Park.


Diamonds made two changes from the side that beat Southport 2 – 1 on Saturday. Lee Tomlin and Tyrone Berry were preferred to Daniel Chillingworth and Marcus Kelly while youth team defender Ugo Udoji made his first appearance on the bench.


York City had made a fine unbeaten start to the season and they kept the same team that beat Burton Albion on Friday.


The visitors should have taken the lead with their first attack but James Dudgeon miskicked after finding himself in space 18 yards out. At the other end, a great turn from Tomlin gave the youngster time and space but the shot lacked any real pace.


York drove forward again and on six minutes Nathan Peat’s fine cross from the left picked out Dudgeon who glanced a header wide. A minute later Berry produced a brilliant run down the right but Chris Hope’s header failed to trouble the York goal.


It was already end to end stuff and York captain Emmanuel Panther beat two Diamonds defenders before the ball bounced kindly into the path of Clayton Donaldson but the striker’s response was too slow and Eyre saved easily.


Tomlin blazed over before the teenager was rightly yellow carded on 21 minutes for a dangerous looking tackle on Dudgeon. Nathan Peat then saw his long range shot fall nicely to the unmarked Craig Farrell but he shot weakly at the goalkeeper from 12 yards out.


On the half hour, Simeon Jackson got a cross in from the left but Jon Ashton, leaning back, headed wide of the right hand upright. Berry, enjoying his first start of the season, was terrorising Peat down the right. The visiting left back just couldn’t handle the tricky winger who produced another telling cross but Ashton misread the height and Evans saved comfortably.


On the stroke of half-time Berry somehow got past three defenders in one wonderful move and crossed superbly to Jackson but he couldn’t control his shot from close range.


Half-time Rushden & Diamonds    0 – 0 York City


The second half was only three minutes old when disaster struck the Diamonds defence. A long ball appeared to be shepherded back to Eyre by Wayne Hatswell but unfortunately the Diamonds goalkeeper delayed his clearance too long and then could only look in horror as the ball rebounded off Donaldson and meandered into his own net. Clearly the lessons of Crawley had failed to be learnt!


That was only York’s second ‘shot’ on target but it seemed to inspire them. On 56 minutes Mark Convery’s cross caused danger in the home defence but Hatswell cleared under the nose of Farrell while at the other end Glenn Wilson’s long throw was flicked on by Michael Rankine but Tomlin flashed his close range shot over the bar.


On 69 minutes York should have sealed the points when Donaldson got free on the left and picked out the totally unmarked Farrell on the right. However, Farrell made a complete hash of the opportunity and could only walk the ball over the by-line.


Two minutes later Diamonds missed a glorious chance themselves to equalise when Jackson ran clear of the visiting defence but his shot cannoned off Evans’ shoulder and away for a corner.


Referee Ward was finding it hard to keep control of an increasingly feisty game and his failure to deal effectively with an incident between Donaldson and Wilson was to prove a catalyst as the situation escalated.


On the football front Convery struck a free-kick over the wall into the arms of Evans while Neal Bishop’s tame long range shot came to nothing.


Diamonds players were becoming increasingly frustrated with some of referee Ward’s decisions as the game became more and more heated and out of control. Farcical scenes ensued after a free-kick was awarded four minutes from time. A full two minutes was taken up trying to get the wall back into position before Watson drove the ball into the ‘keepers chest. In the middle of all that Steve Bowey was rightly booked for encroachment.


Still Diamonds wouldn’t give up and Jackson missed a sitter after substitute Chillingworth set him up nicely before Dave Savage blazed over after substitute Leo Fortune -West helped a cross on.


In injury time Steve Bowey was sent off for violent conduct following an off the ball incident but Diamonds were more livid because Jackson was clear when the refereee’s whistle blew. It was one of those days!







Rushden & Diamonds: -  Nicky Eyre, Glenn Wilson, Paul Watson, Jon Ashton, Chris Hope (c) Wayne Hatswell, Dave Savage, Michael Rankine (Leo Fortune – West 67), Simeon Jackson, Lee Tomlin (Daniel Chillingworth 68), Tyrone Berry


Subs Not Used: Danny Crane, Ugo  Udoji.


York City – Tom Evans, Darren Craddock, Nathan Peat, Neal Bishop, David McGurk, James Dudgeon, Mark Convery, Emmanuel Panther (c), Clayton Donaldson, Craig Farrell (Ross Greenwood 75), Steve Bowey.


Subs Not Used: Arran Reid, Anthony Lloyd, Danny Parslow, Lewis McMahon


Booked: Tomlin 12 (Foul), Nathan Peat 65 (Persistent Fouling), David McGurk 83 (Dissent), Steve Bowey 85 (Encroachment),


Sent off:  Steve Bowey 90 (Violent Conduct)


Referee: Mr G Ward


Attendance: 2,416 (416 Away fans)


Diamonds Man of the Match: Tyrone Berry – An all action performance on his first start of the season.



By Chris Barritt 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: