Leyton Orient 5 Rushden & Diamonds 1



Diamonds slumped to their heaviest away defeat of the season after Orient came from behind to record an emphatic victory at Brisbane Road.


Drewe Broughton put Diamonds ahead midway through the first half but John Mackie put the home side level two minutes later. Two quick goals from Lee Steele gave Orient breathing space before Jabo Ibehre put the game beyond Diamonds reach. Craig Easton finished things off late on. Diamonds also had John Dempster harshly sent off for alleged violent conduct.


Barry Hunter named the same starting line-up from the team that beat Chester City 9 days earlier. Rob Gier had recovered from injury to take his place at right back while fit again Alun Armstrong was named amongst the substitutes.


High flying Leyton Orient had lost their last two home games and were without winger Shane Tudor following his dismissal at Rochdale.


Orient went close as early as the 9th minute. Joe Keith latched onto Justin Miller’s long throw before glancing the post with a fine effort.


Slightly against the run of play Diamonds went ahead on 25 minutes. Gary Mills threaded a pass through to Broughton who cleverly went on before beating Glyn Garner with a low shot.


The visitors lead was short lived. It lasted two minutes in fact. Steele flicked on Keith’s cross and captain John Mackie smashed the ball home from close range.


Orient took the lead for the first time two minutes later when Easton’s chip reached Steele in the area and the striker brought the ball under control before drilling his shot into the left hand corner of the net.


Matters got worse for Rushden 9 minutes from the interval when they conceded a third goal. Mackie challenged Jamie Young to Matt Lockwood’s corner and when the ball ran loose Steele gleefully drilled the ball home.


Half – Time                  Leyton Orient 3 – 1 Rushden & Diamonds


Diamonds made a change at the interval with Neil McCafferty replacing captain Dave Savage and they enjoyed a good spell for 20 minutes or so. Chris O’Grady went close raced onto substitute Armstrong’s through ball but Garner saved well at the near post.


The home side should have extended their lead shortly after but Gary Alexander somehow blasted over from Lockwood’s lay back.


However, any chance of a comeback from Diamonds was effectively over when Dempster was shown the red card by referee Olivier for violent conduct on 70 minutes. Goalkeeper Garner collected a cross in the box and Dempster crashed into him leaving Olivier to brandish the red card.


Orient made it 4 – 1 four minutes later when Daryl McMahon skipped past several challenges before finding Ibehre who easily headed home.


Three minutes from time Diamonds misery was complete when Easton picked the ball up 35 yards out and then deceived Young with an audacious lob to give Orient their nap hand.


This was a disappointing setback for Diamonds after their impressive win at Chester but they only have 48 hours to wait to make amends with the visit of Cheltenham to Nene Park.




Leyton Orient: Garner, Miller, Lockwood, Mackie, Zakuani, Carlisle (McMahon 70), Simpson, Easton, Keith (Barnard 77), Alexander (Ibehre 70), Steele


Subs Not Used: Abbey, Saah


Rushden & Diamonds: Jamie Young, Phil Gulliver, Peter Hawkins, Gary Mills, Rob Gier, Dave Savage (Neil McCafferty 45), Drewe Broughton (Alun Armstrong 55), David Bell (Lee Tomlin 61), John Dempster, Chris O’Grady, Marcus Kelly


Subs Not Used: Greg Pearson, Andy Burgess


Booked: Simpson 90 (Unsporting Behaviour)


Sent Off: Dempster 70 (Violent Conduct)


Referee: Mr R Olivier


Attendance: 4,558


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: