Macclesfield Town 0 Rushden & Diamonds 0

Match Report by David
Brian Talbot kept the same team that beat First Division Burnley midweek as the Diamonds looked to continue their great start to the new season. However, the match finished in a goalless draw and Diamonds are yet to concede a goal in their Division 3 campaign.
After 10 minutes of play, a Diamonds move almost created the opening goal, but a poor first touch from Jon Brady in the centre of the penalty area meant that the Macclesfield defence could get back into position and the chance was lost.
A Tarkan Mustafa cross on 18 minutes found Justin Jackson at the back post, but his weak shot was collected easily by the Macclesfield ‘keeper.
After 22 minutes, Jon Brady had a chance to put the Diamonds one-nil up after good play down the left-hand side. Although Brady didn’t connect properly, the ball fell to Warren Patmore but he was adjudged offside.
Jon Brady’s corner a few minutes later, found the head of Jim Rodwell at the back post, but the ball flew just over the bar. Macclesfield attacked at the other end and Chris Priest’s well-struck shot was well saved by Turley. Moments later, a Jim Rodwell mistake gave Kyle Lightbourne a golden opportunity, but Billy Turley saved well with his left leg.
Both teams had chances on goal, but neither team made them count.
A superb strike by Richard Eyre was heading into the top corner, but Billy Turley got his hand to the ball and tipped it over the bar.
On 50 minutes, Duane Darby came on for Warren Patmore.
On 55 minutes, Macclesfield almost took the lead from a corner, their Captain got his head to the ball, but Tarkan Mustafa managed to block near the line and the ball went wide of the post.
At the other end, a Jon Brady volley was deflected towards goal, but the ‘keeper managed to get down to the ball. A minute later, Mark Peters headed just wide from a Jon Brady free-kick.
On 82 minutes, a Duane Darby header ended up in the back of the net after a Mustafa cross, but the linesman had raised his flag for offside.
Macclesfield’s Karl Munroe took a quick and found Lee Glover 6 yards out, but Billy Turley managed to parry the ball at point blank and the ball was cleared for a corner.
Both teams continued to find a breakthrough, but to no avail.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: