Marine 0 Rushden & Diamonds 6

Match Report courtesy of Unofficial Rushden & Diamonds Website (1997-2001)

FA Umbro Trophy 4th Round

3rd February 2001 (Attendance: 954)

Diamonds Scorers: Darby (2), Jackson, Burgess, Rodwell, Essandoh

Webmaster’s MoM: The Team

Match Report by Andrew

Don’t mention the old adage league form counts for nothing in the Cup to supporters of Scarborough or Boston United over the next few days. Both Conference sides were surprise losers in Saturday’s F.A. Umbro Trophy Fourth Round to opponents from lower leagues, Burton Albion and Tiverton Town respectively. And Forest Green Rovers and Morecambe must both win replays (against Matlock Town and Evesham United) to progress into the last 16.

No such problems for Rushden and Diamonds however after a comfortable 6-0 win against Unibond League side Marine on a rain-swept Merseyside.

Brian Talbot made just the one change from the side which won at Stevenage, Andy Burgess replacing Gary Setchell who had stayed behind in Northamptonshire for family reasons. Mark Peters retained his place from the Broadhall Way match.

Goals from Duane Darby (2), Justin Jackson, Andy Burgess, Jim Rodwell and Roy Essandoh secured the passage into Mondays Fifth Round draw, and for Darby it was six goals in the last five games, taking his tally for the season to 17.

It was the former Notts County striker who set up the Fourth Round tie against Marine after he scored the only goal of the Third Round visit to Hayes, and he followed that up with both goals in the vital win at Stevenage in the Nationwide Conference.

His first goal at Marine came midway through a first-half which had been dominated by the visitors. Meeting a Burgess corner perfectly he thundered a header home to the delight of the travelling supporters who had made the long journey north.

Yet for all their possession Diamonds couldnt add to their lead on a heavy pitch not helped by the wet conditions.

The second half saw the full-timers take full control. After weathering an early Marine onslaught Justin Jackson’s goal on the hour mark put the result beyond any reasonable doubt. Latching on to Burgess’s through ball, Jackson rounded Chris Clarke in the home goal and slotted the ball home.

The final outcome could have been worse for Marine had Clarke not pulled off two terrific saves, one from a trademark Jon Brady free-kick, the other denying Darby his second of the afternoon.

But Clarke couldn’t prevent Darby from making it 3-0 with 20 minutes remaining, and Diamonds then looked as if they could score with every attack.

As it was, they had to settle for three more goals. Burgess fired home from the edge of the area on 82 minutes before two of the substitutes got in on the act as well.

Jim Rodwell had only been on the pitch for a couple of minutes after replacing Darby before heading home a cross from Brady, and then Roy Essandoh completed the rout in the dying seconds after being sent clear of the home defence.

Diamonds: Turley, Mustafa, Underwood, Carey, Peters, Warburton, Butterworth, Brady, Jackson, Darby, Burgess. Subs: Rodwell, Essandoh, Butcher, Wormull, Naylor.

See here for video highlights of the game


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: