Rushden & Diamonds 0 Hereford United 0

Match Report courtesy of Unofficial Rushden & Diamonds Website (1997-2001)

25th March 2000 – Nene Park (Attendance: 4022)

Report by David Gudgeons

Final Score: 0-0

Rushden Team: Turley, Peters, Burgess, Cooper, Rodwell, Warburton, Butterworth, Wormull, Lowe, De Souza, Underwood.
Substitutes: Hamsher, Naylor, Bradshaw, Mills, Mison

Webmasters MoM: Gary Butterworth

Diamonds didn’t make any changes to the team that defeated Sutton United 4-0 last Saturday here at Nene Park. The game started fast and furious, both teams taking the game at their opponents. On 7 minutes, David Lowe had a superb chance as the ball became loose. His first time shot was heading towards the goal, but the keeper produced a great save tipping the ball over the bar.
Hereford put the ball in the back of the Diamonds net, but the referee had already blown his whistle which gave Hereford a free kick out on the left wing. On 19 minutes, a great cross from Paul Underwood was met by the head of Simon Wormull. Wormull managed to connect with the ball as he was running at the goal, his header was heading towards the bottom corner, but again the Hereford keeper matched the attack with another superb save. Hereford began to pass the ball around well, but the Diamonds couldn’t seem to string their passes together. On 31 minutes, Paul Underwood picked up a pass from Gary Butterworth and took a shot from 25 yards, the keeper dived the wrong way, but the ball went past the post. Diamonds put on a lot of pressure towards the latter part of the first half, but couldn’t produce a key pass that could create the opening goal.


Diamonds began the second half well, passing the ball around and picking up the loose balls. On 47 minutes, Andrew Burgess delivered a superb cross, but the keeper caught the ball well. On 54 minutes, after great linking play between David Lowe and Andrew Burgess, Mequel De Souza picked up the ball and ran at the defence. His shot from a very tight angle hit the post and skipped away for a throw-in on the far side. Hereford came back forcing the Diamonds into constant defensive positions. Three superb blocks from Ray Warburton kept Hereford at bay. The Hereford fans responded to their teams encouraging moves. Hereford pushed for the first goal of the game, but the Diamonds matched the attacks in defence. They continued to press and put Diamonds under constant pressure. On 82 minutes, the Hereford keeper pulled himself off of the ground to tip Gary Butterworth’s superb strike, which was heading goalbound, round the post.

David Lowe held the ball up well, but didn’t have much support, Gary Butterworth won every challenge and made some fantastic passes throughout the game and Ray Warburton made some very important blocks to keep the Hereford strikers out. An important point towards the promotion challenge, but with Kidderminster taking all three points today, the Diamonds need maximum points from their games in hand and a favourable result on the 8th April.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: