Rothwell Town 0 Rushden & Diamonds 1

Match Report courtesy of Unofficial Rushden & Diamonds Website (1997-2001)

Diamonds played away at Rothwell Town last night, and narrowly won 1-0 thanks to a John Hamsher penalty in the 21st Minute. The team was: Henricksen, McShefferty, Wilson, Hamsher, Rodwell, Whyte, Brady, Cooper, Laight, Hanlon and Rawle. Subs were Foster, Archer and Challinor.

Rothwell threw everything at their illustrious visitors, but with three players making their debuts amongst a much changed team, Diamonds managed to hang on.

Rothwell 0 Rushden & Diamonds 1

JOHN HAMSHER’S first-half penalty proved just enough to guide Rushden & Diamonds into the NFA Hillier Senior Cup semi-finals at Cecil Street last night.

But Brian Talbot’s back-up squad members where made to hang on for their victory as Rothwell came within inches of taking the second-round tie into extra-time with numerous chances in the final hour.

Early domination from Diamonds paid off on 21 minutes when Hamsher was pulled down as he broke inside the penalty area. He duly picked himself up and confidently sent his spot-kick into the bottom left-hand corner of the net.

Mark Rawle outpaced the home defence within seconds to almost double the lead. But Parsons was alert to block the goalbound effort with his legs.

Liam Heffernan provided a replay of that moment when he latched onto a through-ball but shot at giant Danish keeper Tony Henriksen.

The second half was one-way traffic without the finishing touch for the Bones.

Ben Lord’s barnstorming 50-yard run through the neart of the Diamonds side ended with Henriksen bravely diving at the feet of Heffernan and then Lord and Paul Wagstaff both fired narrowly wide from the edge of the box.

Andy Tiday’s long-range effort was saved at the foot of Henrtksen’s post, Wayne Spencer twice went close and substitute Richard Jowett looked to have scored only for a slight deflection to send the ball agonisingly wide.

There was still time for Heffernan to shoot inches wide and Dean Foley’s curling free-kick was acrobatically tipped wide by Henriksen. But there was no way through even when John Parsons came forward for a corner in the dying seconds.


Henriksen, McShefferty, Wilson, Hamsher, Rodwell, Whyte, Brady (sub Archer 77 mins), Cooper, Laight, Hanlon, Rawle (sub Foster 69 mins). Sub (not used) Challinor. REFEREE: Mr R Beeby (Northampton).

GOAL: Hamsher-(21 mins pen, 0-1). ATTENDANCE:174.. DIAMONDS MAN OF THE MATCH Hamsher.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: